Job Tle: Advocacy Field Agent
Program Programs / Education/Literacy
Reports To: Community Advocacy Manager
Country: Kabala, Sierra Leone
Duty Locations: Field Office, Kabala (More than 75% of your time will be spent in the field or traveling between Kabala and local communities).
You will assist project implementation by working directly with community members and local stakeholders, coordinating various project activities and events in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work to serve the poor and vulnerable within the implementation of the USDA-funded McGovern-Dole (MGD) International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program titled “All Pikin for Learn” in 15 Chiefdoms in Koinandugu and Falaba Districts. “All Pikin for Learn” is an integrated education program – with school feeding as a major component – designed to improve the quality and relevance of education, encourage the complete cycle of primary education for vulnerable and marginalized children, especially girls; and to improve nutrition and increase community involvement and government investment in education for long term sustainability. CRS is supporting the national government to roll out a national school feeding program with emphasis on local production, local procurement and nutrition. Your service and community relations skills ensure that the local stakeholders and communities feed into and benefit from the project that consistently applies best practices and continuously works towards improving its impact. Your primary function is to work with Government of Sierra Leone, Ministry of Basic and Senior Secondary Education, communities and local leadership and stakeholders to mobilize engagement with the project and local education initiatives.
- Participate in and support the coordination and monitoring of project activities at the field level, ensuring implementation schedules are met as per the detailed activity plan, and that adherence to systems for quality project implementation are strengthened.
- Coordinate communication and facilitate information sharing among the project team and project beneficiaries at the community level to assist in strengthening the community interest, involvement and support networks and provide recommendations for localized interventions.
- Liaise with various community stakeholders and mobilize them to ensure full involvement of community leaders, community representatives, and local government representatives in the overall implementation and improvement of project activities, particularly school approvals and community by-laws.
- In coordination with the project team support capacity building events for community
- Coordinate, monitor, and report on volunteer activities.
- Compile data provided at the community level as per project requirements and contribute to the preparation of reports. Participate in data collection activities.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Certificate or equivalent in Rural Sociology and or Community Development
- Minimum of secondary school education certification (O level) or related field
- Minimum 3 years of work or volunteer experience in community development and mobilization with an INGO.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Computer skills required (Excel, Word).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated and relevant background in education or related field
- Willingness to live in remote areas or operational chiefdom
- Willingness/ability to use motorcycles and travel daily to project sites.
- Possess valid motorbike driver license
- Speak/understand local language fluently
- Excellent community mobilization skills, dedicated to empowering community members
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Excellent planning skills
- Flexible and easily adaptable to change
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Country Representative, Area Manager, Education/Literacy team, Health and Nutrition team, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning team, Management Quality staff
External: Head Teachers, Teachers, School Management Committees, Ministry of Basic and Senior Secondary Education and other government agencies, Mother Support Groups, Savings and Internal Lending Community groups.
- External File ADVERT-MGD4-Project.docx