CRS JOBS ADVERTS – INTERNAL/EXTERNAL
If you are interested and your profile matches the requirements, please read the below job descriptions and follow the instructions to submit your application package
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding. CRS launched its work in Sierra Leone in 1963 supporting relief and development operations in the country. CRS Sierra Lone has proudly maintained a strong reputation and relationship with partners and the communities we serve in the country implementing a multi-sector program portfolio based on the country’s dynamic needs. Today, the Country Program has a robust portfolio built around several major programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, and Urban Resilience. CRS Sierra Leone has its main office in Freetown and a field office in Kabala, with over 140 staff in total.
Job Title: Grant Accountant – Global Fund
Program Global Fund Project
Reports To: Project Director – Global Fund
Country: CRS. Sierra Leone
Supervisory Responsibilities Finance Assistant
Duty Locations: CRS Freetown (with up to 20% travel to Assigned Locations)
You will help coordinate and contribute to the implementation of the Global Fund grant policies and procedures in compliance with CRS’ established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You will efficiently perform accounting services through documenting the Global Fund financial transactions by compiling, analyzing, and verifying account information, preparing account entries, and delivering financial reporting services throughout the project life cycle.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Set and monitor sound accounting and financial reporting procedures for grant subrecipients and partners following established standards. Ensure setup and maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions for assigned grant accounts in Sun Systems financial accounting package.
- Review and validate supporting documentation before processing of financial transactions to ensure all required documents are accurate and complete and authorizations are in place.
- Record financial transactions following appropriate authorizations. Review and analyze various accounts to detect irregularities. Advise on corrective actions and prepare correcting entries and adjustments, as necessary.
- Assess, evaluate and monitor subrecipient financial management processes in accordance with policy and strengthen capacity of partner in financial accounting and transactions.
- Monitor disbursement/receipt schedules, alert relevant project staff of due payments/liquidations, and maintain appropriate communication and follow-up to facilitate timeliness of financial resource management and compliance with set deadlines.
- Prepare various periodic and ad hoc financial reports and perform variance analysis to assist project staff with decision-making. Assist with budget maintenance for proper management of financial resources.
- Provide information to project staff, subrecipients, and partners on financial accounting policies and procedural compliance issues and deliver training and other capacity building activities.
- Perform assigned treasury grant (cash payment/receipt, cash forecast, etc.) duties, as long as segregation of duties is ensured.
- Prepare all financial reports (periodic update/disbursement requests and enhanced financial reporting) to ensure accurate and timely reporting to the LFA, the Global Fund and other project stakeholders
- Manage all financial commitments, expenditures, disbursement requests for the SRs, in compliance with the Global Fund requirements and Local Fund Agent (LFA), and to ensure accurate information, and provide advice to the CRS Senior Leadership Team for final decision
- Track, analyze and follow up on all financial reports from SRs, prior to compiling them into grant-specific PR financial reports, for official submission to the Global Fund (through the LFA) as part of PUDR.
- Support external audits of the GF grant’s financial records, monitor and facilitate such audits at the SR level, to ensure that a complete set of external audit reports is completed from all SRs on an annual basis, as per GF requirements
- English is essential, but Krio will be an advantage questions/queries raised by the CCM, LFA the GF and other entities
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an international or local NGO, or a financial/banking institution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies
- Conscientious, accurate and thorough with great attention to detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Ability to work collaboratively
- English is essential, but Krio will be an advantage
- Knowledge of the relevant public donor regulations preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of Sun Systems financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software preferred.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal GF Project director, CRS finance manager, other GF project staff, CRS regional and HQ technical advisors, risk and compliance officer and manager
External SRs, LFA and external auditors
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CRS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Closing Date for the receipt of application packages: 28th February
- External File ADVERTS-Global-Fund-Project.docx