Job Title: Sustainability/Capacity Building Adviser (Technical Advisor I)
Program MGD4 Project
Reports To: Chief of Party- MGD4
Country: CRS. Sierra Leone
Duty Locations: CRS Freetown (25% travel to project sites throughout Koinadugu and Falaba Districts)
This role is dedicated to the CRS implementation of the USDA-funded McGovern-Dole (MGD) International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program titled “All Pikin for Learn.” Implemented in 15 Chiefdoms in Koinandugu and Falaba Districts, “All Pikin for Learn” is an integrated education program – with school feeding as a major component – designed to improve the quality and relevance of education, encourage the complete cycle of primary education for vulnerable and marginalized children, especially girls; and to improve nutrition and increase community involvement and government investment in education for long term sustainability. CRS is supporting the national government to roll out a national school feeding program with emphasis on local production, local procurement and nutrition. You will provide technical advice and support to a range of program design and implementation issues in the area of Sustainability and Capacity Building in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to MGD teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your advice, knowledge, and support will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ Sustainability and Capacity Building programming is across the globe. The MGD program will transition to ownership by Government of Sierra Leone stakeholders gradually and completely over 4 years.
- Support the development and contribute to the implementation of agency-wide strategies, standards, tools and best practices in Sustainability and Capacity Building that effectively engage beneficiaries, donors, and governments. Help ensure a cross-sectoral approach integrating gender, protection mainstreaming, and disaster risk reduction.
- Provide technical solutions to MGD teams and the national government, remotely and on-site, for strategic planning and how to best apply standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools and M&E, helping to ensure high-quality implementation.
- Support capacity strengthening initiatives in Sustainability programming for staff and Government of Sierra Leone counterparts through helping develop learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and workshops, and coaching.
- Collect and analyze program data, capture and share lessons learned and best practices for specific projects to facilitate improvements in decision-making and contribute to the Sustainability and Capacity Building learning agenda.
- Contribute to maintaining relationships with donors, peer organizations, research and other institutions, participate in forums in the area of Sustainability and Capacity Building to collect and share best practices and promote CRS’ work.
- Lead the development and management of processes that will lead to graduation and government take-over of MGD project activities.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Sustainable Development, Public Administration, Governance or a related field required.
- Minimum of three years relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of two years relevant field-based experience in Sustainability and Capacity Building.
- Knowledge of technical principles and concepts in Sustainability and Capacity Building. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Experience in project design and proposal development. Experience in writing content for proposals.
- Knowledge of capacity strengthening best practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation and analysis.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society Understanding of partnership principles.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
- Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings
- Good strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Good technical writing skills
- Presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Education and Literacy Program Manager, Health and Nutrition Program Manager, Community Advocacy Manager, Supply Chain Manager, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Manager, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Area Manager
External: Director of National School Feeding Program, Deputy Minister of Basic and Senior Secondary Education, local communities, other Ministries, departments and agencies, World Food Programme and UNICEF.
- External File 1_ADVERT.docx