About Teach For Sierra Leone
Teach For Sierra Leone believes that every child in Sierra Leone deserves an excellent and empowering education. Our mission is to build a movement of diverse and capable leaders who will work to end educational inequity in our country, starting by teaching for two years in low-income schools. As a start-up non-profit organization working in a challenging environment, we are looking for exceptional individuals who are both self-directed and strong team players to make up our leadership team.
Teach For Sierra Leone is recruiting and selecting outstanding university graduates and young professionals to join a rigorous, internationally – recognized Fellowship program during which they will teach full-time for two years in a low-income school. Through this exposure, Fellows will develop critical knowledge and first-hand understanding of the education system in Sierra Leone and the challenges it faces. With intensive training, support and professional development from Teach For Sierra Leone, Fellows will maximize their impact in the classroom and communities and also enhance their own leadership skills.
Alumni of the program and, over time, their students also will become the next generation of Sierra Leonean Leaders in education, business, medicine, law, government, journalism and other fields. Informed by their experience, they will work from inside and outside the system to affect the fundamental changes necessary to ensure that every child attains an excellent education.
The Head of Finance, Admin and Grants as part of the strategic team of the Secretariat provides supervision and direction for the development and implementation of administrative and financial systems that will aid the efficient operations of the organisation. The Head of Finance, Admin and Grants will provide the TFSL Team with smooth and appropriate financial operations, administrative and human resources support to effectively implement the secretariat’s program activities. The Head of Finance, Admin and Grants is expected to build and maintain strong financial controls and to prepare accurate and timely financial reports for the attention of the management team of the Institution; help in the development of strategic plans, developing staff, producing and monitoring of key performance indicators. This position collaborates closely with other units of the organization for the attainment of it’s objectives by providing strategic and financial guidance to ensure that the financial commitments are met; also to develop all necessary policies and procedures to ensure the sound financial and administrative management and control of the secretariat’s operations and implementation of the TFSL.
Key Measures of Success
• Efficient Financial Management – develop and implement appropriate accounting and financial control systems to ensure financial sustainability of the organization.
• Build sustainable funding – accountable for ensuring that the organization meets its yearly fundraising goals by securing funding from both the private and public sectors, in order to provide sufficient financial resources for the organization towards achieving its vision, long term and short-term goals.
• Efficient and Compliant workforce – consistently maintaining a high quality and motivated staff that are committed to the strategic goals and overall objectives of the organization.
• Finance planning and analysis
• Develop and monitor budgets and forecasts. Lead Teach For Sierra Leone’s leadership in an annual budgeting and mid-year reforecast process; administer and review all financial plans on a monthly basis and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
• Develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
• Work with the executive team to align financial management with short- and long-term development planning and projections.
• Partner with the executive team to address all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the executive team based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
• Represent the organization to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, auditors, etc.
• Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funders, the Board of Trustees, and key external constituents; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements for internal and external use.
Financial and Accounting Management
• Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting.
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate international standards and regulatory requirements.
• Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures. Help ensure maintenance of fiscal policies and procedures.
• Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and
• timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Teach For Sierra Leone’s financial status. Coordinate activities between development and finance.
• Oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for international and domestic governmental agencies, corporate, and foundation grants.
• Oversee all audit activities.
• Oversee proper filing of tax returns and pension benefit to the appropriate authorities in Sierra Leone.
• Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
• Develop and maintain effective office systems (e.g. IT support, office maintenance, fixed assets, supplier contact), ensuring these are consistent with TFSL’S operating requirements.
• Support the efficient running of TFSL’s daily finance and admin operations.
• Ensure all procurement processes are in compliance with TFSL and donor regulations.
• Support logistics for TFSL programme activities.
• Advise on HR policies when required to ensure these comply with the TFSL’S statutory regulations.
• Ensure staff handbook is reviewed and updated as required to comply with TFSL’s statutory procedures.
• Supervise the maintenance of personnel and fellows records.
• Other administration duties as agreed.
Grants and Fundraising:
• Work with the CEO to plan and implement Teach For Sierra Leone’s fundraising strategy, which includes maintaining and developing partnership with current and new donors.
• Secure support from foundations, individuals and private companies
• Ensure that Teach For Sierra Leone’s yearly fundraising target is met by conducting comprehensive fundraising research, designing and implementing creative fundraising campaigns, securing financial and in-kind support from local and international sources
• Develop and maintain funding databases and systems
• Build and maintain close relationships with donors and stakeholders
• Collaborate with other non-profits in co-applying for both local and international funding opportunities
• Collaborating with partner and donor organizations
• Prepare donor communications including grant proposals, KPI presentations on our model and impact Accompany the CEO to donor meetings; attend and create fundraising events, presentations to key stakeholders and supporters; manage upwards to ensure that prospects are being moved through the pipeline efficiently; perform research to identify and qualify potential donors both locally and internationally)
• Manage grants, prepare reports, update proposals and supplementary materials
• Implement, improve, and manage our donor database (tracking of databases and systems)
• Develop and lead the entire development sector (inclusive of research, strategic planning and controlling) • Plan a fundraising calendar of events and oversee execution of events • Lead all external fundraising campaigns of the organization
• Carry out other related tasks as requested by the CEO
• Develop and manage direct staff.
• Engage other members of the senior management team to facilitate cross-department collaboration to ensure that all financial, IT, HR and Grants solutions support Teach For Sierra Leone’s evolving strategy, operational delivery, and data collection needs.
• Hire and retain staff and external consultants/professionals as needed.
Candidate Profile This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mid-level leader with at least seven to ten years of accounting, admin and finance experience (could include a Master’s degree), followed by experience managing a finance, admin and team and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. S/he will ideally have experience growing and scaling the finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) function for a complex international company or NGO that has multiple programs and field offices. Other preferred qualifications include:
• Experience as a Finance, Admin and Grant specialist or equivalent, preferably in an international company or NGO with a budget of at least $3 million. Additional experience should include working directly in or overseeing accounting, audit, budget, grants, compliance/legal, and other relevant functional areas
• A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will fully own all financial functions and provide guidance on financial issues to an executive team and/or Board of Trustees
• Experience working with “high-growth” or “start-up” environment. Ability and desire to work in a “newer” operation, with less structure than a more established organization, and lead a team to ambitious results
• Excellent people and communication skills, especially in discussing financial topics internally with a variety of staff and externally with key stakeholders
• Proven effectiveness leading, managing, and growing a finance, admin and grants team, comprised of finance and accounting employees, contractors, and other professionals
• Strong forecasting skills; experience in modeling and forecasting complex operating models. High level proficiency in Excel. Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
• Strong desire to learn and/or familiarity and experience with non-profits and non-profit accounting/finance (non-profit issues, experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting; knowledge of grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of international and domestic corporate, individual, and foundation grants)
• Passion for Teach For Sierra Leone’s mission and education
Education and Experience:
• Preferably a recognised accountancy and admin qualification (ACCA, ACA, CIMA or equivalent).
• Bachelor’s Degree with 15+ years of relevant work experience in Administration, Accounting, Financial Management and Grants Acquisition.
• An advanced degree in Accounting and Financial Management or a related field preferred, MBA or Management degree with 10+ years of relevant experience.
• Experience in managing a team of people.
• Experience in managing multiple projects at a time.
• To work closely with the CEO to do fundraising and partnership drive of the organization.
• Share knowledge and best practices to work with the broader global Teach for All network Compensation Salary for this role is attractive. Additionally, there is ample opportunity for professional development and Mobility within the organization, as well as access to professional development through the global network
Teach For All and our other partners.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a one-page cover letter to email@example.com.
Please indicate the position applied for in the subject line of your email. Your cover letter should be no longer than one page addressing the following questions:
1) Why are you interested in Teach For Sierra Leone?
2) What compelled you to consider this specific position?
3) What strengths would you bring to this position?
INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON 28TH FEBRUARY 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Salary Offers Very attractive + other services
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5