The SDG OF is the first-of-its-kind fund in the world dedicated to supporting and creating partnerships to deliver better social outcomes at a better value. In Sierra Leone, we are partnering with the Education Outcomes Fund, FCDO, UNICEF, the Government of Sierra Leone, and local delivery partners to implement innovative delivery to improve learning outcomes for children in Sierra Leonean primary schools. For this purpose, we are looking to hire an in-country Program Manager, who shares the collective passion of our partnership for education reform and will play an instrumental role in delivering our shared goals– better educational outcomes for primary school children in Sierra Leone and better educational systems.
This role will support the delivery of the Sierra Leone Education Innovation Challenge (SLEIC). The
The government of Sierra Leone (GoSL) has partnered with the Education Outcomes Fund (EOF) and FCDO to design and support SLEIC to achieve the following goals:
1. Improve learning outcomes (literacy and numeracy) and achievement of thresholds of minimum competencies in targeted primary schools. The program has a specific focus on improving girls’ learning and aims to facilitate the implementation of distance-learning interventions (if required) to offset the setbacks in learning from school closures.
2. Inform which interventions and financing approaches are most effective to improve learning
outcomes in education during and outside COVID-19.
3. Build sustainable capacity in schools to deliver equitable learning outcomes during and outside
4. Build delivery partner capacity so that a stronger, more outcomes-focused pool of non-state
providers are available to support education delivery.
5. Increase outcomes-orientation in policy-making including but not limited to incorporating
outcomes-based financing into future Government of Sierra Leone programming and international education financing.
6. Improve coordination in the education sector including with Government and donors towards
the achievement of equitable education outcomes. Interventions are expected to be implemented across 5 contractual lots, each with its own delivery partner and unique approach. SDGOF is partnering with three different delivery partners in Lots 1,2 &3. The following table highlights the geographical cover of each lot by listing constituent districts.
Focus Areas for Interventions supported by SDGOF:
• Port Loko
• Western Area Rural
The first of the three-year program will focus on building delivery partners’ readiness to participate
in an outcomes-based program. In years 2 and 3, providers will be accountable for delivering on a
specific set of outcomes that are agreed upon in advance. SDG OF is managed by Bridges Outcomes, which is a mission-driven not-for-profit social enterprise that works with Government, community groups, and specialist partners to design and deliver vital services that support people to improve their lives, in areas ranging from education and wellbeing to housing, employment, and environmental protection. For more details, visit https://www.bridgesoutcomespartnerships.org/
As the Impact and Operations Manager, your primary role will be meeting the need for a new program for timely, consistent information; ensuring that it is up-to-date; developing new ways to interpret impact and identify innovation opportunities in delivery. You will be responsible for delivering positive change and impact in service delivery, using high-quality data analysis to inform and develop service improvements and innovations, with a focus on continuous learning in delivery design to increase access for more out-of-school children and improve learning for more students.
Also, you will actively participate in the design and refinement of our systems and approaches to
support greater collaboration across the Delivery Partners and the Commissioners (GoSL, EOF, FCDO, and UNICEF). You will be critical in identifying priority areas for adaptive management to ensure that the program is continually learning and applying this to improve operational performance and deliver positive social outcomes.
What will you be accountable for?
Delivery Impact & Innovation
• Measure and evaluate the impact of the key lead success indicators to forecast achievement against identified milestones and guide on delivery iteration when deemed necessary
• Bring delivery partners together to resolve problems/issues and collectively identify solutions to
improve service delivery
• Bring in external learning and creative ideas from wider sector/services to improve overall
delivery and impact
• Identify and create a contingency plan for future challenges/chances e.g. political or environmental Analysis and Reporting
• Lead on the creation of high-quality analysis and delivery impact reporting that can actively
enable the development, improvement, and innovation within the service which in turn improves
the performance of schools to improve access and quality of learning
• Create packs for monthly board meetings for review by the project board to better inform
• Identify patterns, trends, and root causes to anticipate potential challenges/opportunities, and
recommend solutions and mitigation plans to address these
• Create data dashboards, graphs, and visualizations
• Ad hoc analysis to support decision-making as needed Data accuracy and quality
• Work with the Delivery Partners to ensure that all data are collected and entered correctly
• Liaise with data contacts at the Delivery Partners to collect outcomes data
• Identify, evaluate and implement tools to support data validation and cleansing
• Apply quality checks as appropriate to ensure that the data being used for reporting is accurate
and valid Build strong stakeholder relationships
• Establish strong relationships with the Delivery Partners and other project stakeholders that are
key to the success of the program, at both an operational and strategic level. Key stakeholders
• Government of Sierra Leone officials
• District Directors in target districts
• Ministry of Basic, Secondary School Education (MBSSE) officials
• Planning, Budget, Monitoring, and Evaluation(PBME), Ministry of Education
• Teacher Unions
International & Local NGOs:
• Representatives from the EOF/the UNICEF
• Leads other Delivery Partners working in other districts
Internal Project Team:
• Programme Board
• Programme Board Chair
• Investment Executive
• Central SDG Outcomes Fund Team Invoicing
• Work with the Delivery Partners to ensure that invoices for outcomes are made in a timely
manner and are paid. What are we looking for?
• A genuine passion to drive social change: We are constantly searching for new ways to
dramatically change the status quo. This requires someone with excellent attention to detail and
intellectual rigor who will demonstrate the ability to lead on impact and value creation.
• Ability to deliver more than the market expects: We believe that more is possible than the current
system is achieving, and we need to demonstrate this in practice. This requires tenacity and
• Ability to think differently: We will not succeed by copying existing models or structures. Our
projects and investments all require the team to think through each problem from the first principles and find the most effective and efficient new solution in each case. This requires logic, analytical rigor, and a willingness to question assumptions. It also requires the desire to work in a dynamic environment, along with the ability to be solutions-focused and work in a small team.
• Ability to build and maintain trust: We aim for the edge of what we believe is possible, from
ourselves and our partners; this can only be achieved through mutual trust. Everything we do
must be open to scrutiny and full transparency. This requires excellent interpersonal skills and
The successful candidate will have:
• Passion and desire to make a positive difference in the lives of vulnerable people
• 7+ years of experience depicting proven capability in mobilizing complex projects with multiple
• Experience and in-depth knowledge in the field of education
• Excellent leadership and strategic development skills
• Excellent senior stakeholder skills and inter-personal skills
• Excellent program management skills
• Exceptional communications skills
• Ability to develop and manage positive and collaborative relationships with many partners and
stakeholders with different perspectives and interests
• Team player with a strong work ethic and ability to take initiative in proactively resolving issues
• Excellent and advanced MS Office skills Desirable:
• Experience with Database / CRM system management
• Experience in outcomes-contracts or results-based financing mechanisms Benefits
To reward you for your hard work and commitment, we offer an attractive salary package, along with a tremendous learning opportunity to grow with an international team currently market leaders in supporting outcomes contracts across the globe.
How do I apply?
Applicants interested in the role should send their CV and supporting statement setting out their
suitability for the role (no more than 1 A4 side) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th June 2022.
- Salary Offers Negotiated, depending on experience
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Radio field Option 3
- Dropdown field Option 2
- Multiple Select field Option 3