Job Title: Project Officer – Preparing for Enhanced Protection in Disaster (PrEPD)
Department: Urban Resilience Project Unit
Reports To: Program Manager – Preparing for Enhanced Protection in Disaster (PrEPD)
Country: CRS-Sierra Leone.
Duty Location: CRS Country Office, Freetown with 50% to project locations
The Project Officer will work with the Preparing for Enhanced Protection in Disaster (PrEPD) Programme Manager and Programme Director Urban Resilience to facilitate the achievement of the BHA-funded PrEPD project objectives through coordinating and reporting on all project activities, providing technical guidance and advice to implementing partner(s) advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work by serving the poor and vulnerable. Your coordination and relationship management skills will ensure that the Preparing for Enhanced Protection in Disaster (PrEPD) applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
• Organize and work in close collaboration with implementing Partners and CRS colleagues throughout relevant project cycles – project design, start up, implementation and close out to ensure efficient and effective implementation in line with CRS programme quality principles and standards, donor requirements and good practices.
• Participate and monitor PrEPD community engagement activities rollout by Implementing partners (CODOHSAPA) and ensure the use appropriate systems and tools.
• Ensure learning properly documented during the implementation of PrEPD project activities
throughout the project cycle. Support and coordinate capacity building and technical support
activities to ensure assigned project activities are implemented per project guidelines and standards.
• Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and guiding partners in
their efforts to reflect on project experiences and learnings. Analyze implementation challenges and
report any inconsistencies and/or gaps to inform adjustments to plans, implementation schedules
and the overall Detail implementation Plan
• Support and strength the work with local and global DRR and humanitarian actors, as well as crisis affected comminutes, to gather data on protection gaps, needs, capacities and priorities in disaster preparedness to inform development tools and guidance in the PrEPD Project.
• Participate in the outreach in two operational communities in Freetown’s Cockle Bay and Kolleh
Town targeting 1,066 households and 6,400 people during the PrEPD project implementation cycle.
• In collaboration with your supervisor, help identify, assess and strengthen partnership relevant to
DRR programming, Protection mainstreaming, protection against sexual exploitation and abuse
(PSEA) applying appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
• Develop activity Terms of Reference (ToR) and related budget for community engagement or
• Participate in all research, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) planning workshops and
events conducted by CRS
• In collaboration with your supervisor, lead planning and implementation of community
training/meetings on Advocacy and Systems Strengthening
• Contribute to monthly, quarterly, and annual reports narrative reporting. This will include Provision of weekly, monthly, and quarterly updates to supervisor.
• Comply with all Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) and research protocols shared by CRS and the research partners.
• Comply and adhere to all CRS’s policies related to participant protection, abuse/exploitation, fraud health and safety.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development Studies, Social work, or Social Sciences in related
fields of Disaster Risk Management.
• Minimum of 2 years of work experience in project support related to DRR, with focus on protection mainstreaming and PSEA required, preferably with an intentional NGO
• Experience working in informal settlements
• Proven experience in community mobilization and engagement of health facility staff, including
building a good relationship and with different community stakeholders.
• Experience working with partners, participatory action planning and community engagement.
• Staff supervision experience a plus.
• Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
• Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners
• Attention to details, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
• Self-starter and resulted oriented individual with ability to influence others to produce result.
• Excellent time management and self-management skills with ability to support others manage their time in delivering multiple tasks.
• Strong relationship building skills with diverse community mobilization and engagement skills in
• Ability to influence community stakeholders to get buy-in from consultants or research partners
• Full of Problem-solving skills, initiative, socially and culturally sensitive with ability to promote
gender equality and social inclusion in data collection.
• Ability to identify and escalate risks/challenges and recommendations to management and study
• Supportive and participatory supervision, coaching, mentoring, facilitation, and on-the-job training skills.
• Ability to do presentation internally and externally to stakeholders
Required Languages – – English and Krio are required.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 80 % to project locations.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory Responsibilities (none)
Internal: Programme manager, Preparing for Enhanced Protection in Disaster (PrEPD), Program Director Urban Resilience, MEAL team, Communications, Finance and Urban Resilient field staff
External: Implementing partner (CODOHSAPA), DRR Actors, CDMCs and Govt. MDAs.
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5